usbmount: works partially

I'm on a near-vanilla 2.6.21.1 (usb-storage compiled-in), etch,
udev/usbmount. When the system is up and running, hotplugging of my
external USB disk and USB thumb drive works as expected. But the
device are not mounted automatically when the systems is started and
they are plugged in/powered on. Can anyone shed a light on that? What
would I have to change to have my USB peripherals mounted
automatically reliably, as they did on sarge?

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb
Linux Kernel 2.6/PPC for Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS from http://hvkls.dyndns.org