Re: dpkg-reconfigure of xserver-xorg creates problem for users! (Fixed!)

Got it!

After removing the problem user from all likely groups, there was no difference - still could not run X.

Started getting desparate and deleting anything that looked like a configuration file or directory in the user's home directory. It all came right when I removed .gconf.

Therefore, it seems that for some reason dpkg-reconfigure fiddles with something in the .gconf directory.

Should I file a bug against dpkg-reconfigure?

Many thanks for suggestions from Michael Pobega and Florian Kulzer.

Bruce Ward

Bruce Ward          Christchurch, New Zealand