Re: Using a development server also as a backup production server

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 05:04:29AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 06:56:45PM +1000, Pascal Hakim wrote:
> >
> > I realise the original poster uses MySQL, but if you want to keep a
> > postgresql DB in sync like that, a great way to do it is by using
> > PITR/WAL shipping[1]. This will work pretty well if what you're worried
> > about is hardware failure, and will let you set just how far behind you
> > want the slave to be.
> >
> Interesting.  Is that a new feature in 8.2?

It was added in 8.0:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/backup-online.html

As an added bonus, since you can replay stuff in advance, you can
restore in seconds rather than hours.

Pasc
--
Pascal Hakim                                          0403 411 672
Do Not Bend