Re: Secure and remote access

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 07:10:34AM -0700, Bill wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What's the best way to provide secure and remote access to a
> Windows user. I want to give my friend access to Apache so
> he can work on our website.

As Andrei and the anonymous poster from Arizona noted, ssh is the best
way to go.  However, if your windows user is not particularly command
line savvy, you may want to recommend to them to use a GUI ftp program
that supports ssh/sftp.  I think filezilla does and there are others.
Alternatively, depending on what software he is using to do the
development work, WebDAV might be a better option.  It can be made to
work transparently with many popular tools and is also supported
nateviley in Windows (though MS calls it "web folders" in Windows).

Since WebDAV is an extension to the HTTP, it will also work nicely over
SSL, which meets your requirements for security.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez