.profile, .Xmodmap, xorg.conf have no effect

Dear all

After my success with Debian Etch on a PowerBook-G4 I tried installing Debian on a second PowerBook-G4, which is basically identical to my 'first' machine. However, with the second PowerBook, changes in xorg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) have no effect (I tried to setup the keyboard -- right now I have to manually type 'setxkbmap ch -model macintosh' after each login to get a proper keymap). Also, the .profile, .Xmodmap, and .xinitrc files in my home are ignored.

Any ideas or hints?

Matthias