Re: keyboard tweaking without X

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:45:04 +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if I can do without X for my regular
> computing needs. Most of what I do is text-based, primarily emacs,
> mutt, slrn. However, I find emacs in particular is easier to deal with
> in X, as there is better support for function keys. Stuff like xmodmap
> is a great tool, so I can switch caps-lock to something useful. And
> without X some key-chords produce garbage - anything with an arrow key
> is out, for a start. Erm, just noticing that even single arrow keys
> don't work properly - they all seem to move the cursor up, and leave
> behind stray letters as they go.
>
> Are these just part of working in a console, or can someone point me
> to a resource for fixing them up?

Take a look at the package "console-setup". It allows you to set up the
keyboard for the console in a way that is very similar to what you know
from Xkb. If you work on the console a lot you will probably also
appreciate that console-setup makes it easy to use fonts that are nicer
to look at, e.g. the ones from the "console-terminus" package.

          Florian   |