Re: Preventing delayed USB writes

Brendan wrote:
On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/15/07 15:52, pedxing wrote:
I would like to configure things so that, for instance, when
I (ok, actually my wife) use konqueror to copy songs to my
mp3 player, when the copy dialog says 100%, I can immediately
unmount the device without having to wait for a delayed
write.

I have looked at the mount man page, but it says the sync
option (which I think is what I want) is only available for
ext2/3 and ufs file systems.
[snip]

I would rather not experiment on my wife's new mp3 player, but it
 would be a pain to force her to the command line every time she
wants to transfer music to it...
Does she just yank it out?

IMNSHO, I would say to you: remember that Linux comes from a true
multi-user heritage from back when 9-track (reel-to-reel) tapes
ruled the data center, and were frequently dismounted and mounted.

Thus, break the single-user mindset and proper unmount "tapes" when
you are finished using them.

In GNOME, when you right-click on a USB stick icon there is a choice
to "Unmount volume".  I'm sure than KDE has something similar.  You
and your wife should just train yourselves to this new reality.

Or, look into setting up sync....So that yanking something out doesn't do damage.

I love that you advise "Train yourselves to this new reality". Yeah, no.

But, based on prior conversations in this thread, and web pages referenced, using the auto sync feature may be a bad thing, actually damaging the flash device beyond use.

Bob