Re: again update problem

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 13:19:00 +0200, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:20:44AM +0200, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> trying to update, I get bad signature from debian repository:
> >>
> >> Fetched 79.8kB in 2s (31.1kB/s)
> >> Reading package lists... Done
> >> W: GPG error: http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable Release: The following
> >> signatures were invalid: BADSIG A70DAF536070D3A1 Debian Archive
> >> Automatic Signing Key (4.0/etch)
> >> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> >>

> >> I have debian-archive-keyring installed:
> >>
> >> # dpkg -l | grep  debian-archive-keyring
> >> ii  debian-archive-keyring            2007.02.19
> >>   GnuPG archive keys of the Debian archive
> >>
> >> Any idea how to solve this? I don't want to install unsigned packages..
> >>
> >> 	Cheers,
> >> 	Ivan
> >>

> > Try purging and reinstalling the keyring to see what happens.
> >

> I tried, but when apt-get warn me about something very bad that will
> happen if I continue, and ask me to type "Yes I say so" or something
> similar, I got scared not to completely screw up my system.
>
> Anyway, the problem mysteriously disappeared after installing the
> "unsigned" packages. Don't ask me why and how, but the problem is
> solved. This happens at least once in a month: suddenly I get a "BADSIG"
> message from the official Debian repositories. Shouldn't the signature
> acquired once and added to the keyring be valid at least for an year or so?

I think the problem is that a mirror can be in an inconsistent state
temporarily, while it is synchronizing to the main repository. For
example, if a mirror has the new *_Release files but still the old
*_Release.gpg files then the signatures will not match. (You can look at
these files in /var/lib/apt/lists/ to see how they work.)

If such problems occur regularly then I would either change my own time
of running "update" or find another mirror. (So far, I have always had
good experiences with ftp.de.debian.org.)

          Florian   |