Re: GDM default locale--can't set

On 05/16/2007 12:44 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:07:39AM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
I can't seem to set the default locale to en_US.UTF8 for GDM. When I change the settings at the GDM window, it offers to make my new locale the default. I always say "Yes" to this prompt, but whenever I log in to GDM again, I get the old default: iso-8859-1.

The Gnome help pages say that I can define ~/.dmrc, I can set the language for my account, but this does not work; the file is completely ignored. Also, ".gdmrc" is ignored. How can I set the default locale?

I'm using i386 Sarge with Kernel 2.4.27. GDM is 2.6.0.8.

Thats a bit old ;-)

What happens if you "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root and choose the
default there.

I'm guessing gdm is asking just for that session.

When I use "dpkg-reconfigure locales," it lets me change the system's default locale. Unfortunately, that's done globally, and it applies to both X and text-mode login sessions. It works for X, but the text login sessions are messed up (e.g. "man iso-8859-1" displays visible utf8 codes).