Re: how to use dpkg to list some packages

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:07:31AM -0700, Serena Cantor wrote:
> how to use dpkg to list all packages in doc section that can be installed?
>
> just list package names.

You could look at grep-dctrl. I think you can search by section on the
packages section on debian.org.

But, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. The doc section tends to
have packages relating to helping with documentation, i.e. docbook, etc.
I think what you want is the doc package of something.

Compare "apt-cache search pbx | less"
with "apt-cache search pbx | grep doc"

Substitute pbx with your subject of interest. To see if it is installed:
"apt-cache policy asterisk-doc"

You have not been bitten by Debian's stance on "free documentation" have
you? Good documentation is better obtained off the web. This is a good
thing IMHO.

--
Chris.
======