Re: [ltp] Re: R40 soft modem & wifi with Debian Etch

Michael Powell(mlp@fewpb.net) is reported to have said:

> Actually, I am attempting to use the built-in infrared port for wifi, as a website I visited made it
> sound like that was what it was for.
>
> However, upon some further research, I think some of the laptops must have shipped with an
> Intel PCMCIA card.  Mine is used, and did not come with one.  So, I believe that is probably
> my problem.  ;-)  I was attempting to use some hardware for a purpose that was not intended.
>
> I guess a better question is this:  Which Wifi cards or USB sticks are best-suited for use
> with Debian, or maybe which ones definately do not work?
>
> I found a site that suggested that multiple Belkin offerings will work with Linspire "out of
> the box."

I have had good results using pcmcia cards using the Madwifi drivers
on 3 Thinkpads running Debian Testing and Etch.  See the Compatability
page on <http://madwifi.org/UserDocs> for a list of all the cards that
work with Madwifi.

Currently I have a NetGear WG511U running as an access point on on old
TP 770 with 6 desktops/laptops accessing the net.

Debian has all of the packsges required and the Docs at the above site
are very helpful.

Wayne

--
In a five year period we can get one superb programming language.  Only
we can't control when the five year period will begin.