configuring midnight commander for use via ssh

I have Debian running on two machines, Kate and Edith, in my LAN.
(Who says you can't have your Kate, and Edith, too?)

The Gnome desktop is installed on both machines.  Also, midnight
commander (the original mc, not Gnome commander) is installed on both
machines, and works perfectly when accessed from the local keyboard.

After starting Edith (but not logging in locally), I have been logging
into Edith via SSH from Kate.  But when I execute mc over the SSH
link, the two-panel mc display is corrupted.  Instead of horizontal
and vertical rules, I see strange characters in groups of three.

What is the proper way to configure midnight commander for running
over SSH?

Would it be better to run Gnome commander instead of midnight
commander?