Re: HAL crashes with dbus

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 13:44:10 +0200, Kristian Lampen wrote:
Hi,

I use the recent sid installation, kernel 2.6.18 (update almost everyday). As I tried to use my USB-Stick yesterday, I recognised that kde does not mount it automatically (the same with cdrom). The last time before two weeks all worked well.

I found out, that the hal daemon crashes on startup:

sid:~# /etc/init.d/dbus restart
Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.
Stopping Hardware abstraction layer: hald.
Stopping system message bus: dbus.
Starting system message bus: dbus.
Starting Hardware abstraction layer: haldrun-parts: /etc/dbus-1/event.d/20hal exited with return code 1
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.

I didn´t change the hal configuration, so maybe the reason is a update of the hal system?

sid:~# apt-cache policy hal dbus udev
hal:
  Installiert:0.5.9-2

[...]

dbus:
  Installiert:1.0.2-5

[...]

udev:
  Installiert:0.105-4

That combination works for me. Let's check if we have the exact same
version of /etc/dbus-1/event.d/20hal. You can just compare the MD5sum:

$ md5sum /etc/dbus-1/event.d/20hal
3f1321d3006e133c789494981569d198  /etc/dbus-1/event.d/20hal

(I am not sure if this script is architecture-dependent. The MD5sum
 seems to be the same for i386 and amd64.)

My MD5 is the same, but I recognised that HAL works if I use the standard-kernel-image 2.6-686 (2.6.18+6), or the standart 2.6.20 kernel. Usually I use a selfcompiled 2.6.18. I did´t change this kernel in the last month, so the problem must be, that a updated version of hal needs some other kernel options or modules to be active.

Does anyone know which options/modules have to be enabled for HAL?

Thanks Kristian