Re: Etch hangs when installed on vmware

On May 13, 10:10 am, Bhasker C V <bhas...@unixindia.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>  I am not a newbie to installation. I have installed debian before in
> vmware machines.
>  I downloaded Etch (4.0r0) and started the installation.
>
>  The first place where the hang started is when the kernel loaded.
>
>  It became very slow when it was showing the message
> "Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor
> mode... Ok."
> After long delay (30-40 seconds ! )this i get this message
>
> "Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 3411.43 BogoMIPS
> (lpj=6822875)"

I've used the netinstall ISO and I got this message too, when
installing on AMD Turion dual core with VM server 1.0.3.

In fact, every time I boot the Debian Etch VM, there is this long time
with the message "Checking if this processor honours the WP bit..".

I've installed my VM on a fixed 4GB partition using "Other Linux 32
bits".

> Anyone has any idea on why this is happening. I just want some people
> out there with vmware also to give me opinions if they faced this issue
> before i can talk to the kernel guys !

Sorry but it worked for me. Hope my comments will help!

Hans.