Re: kernel or ppp problem?

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 11:05:29PM -0700, Eugene Stemple wrote:
>    I am seeing an abnormal delay in packets passed over a PPP link
> (a null modem cable between two Linux systems) and would post a
> formal bug report if I were more confident which package maintainer
> to report to.
>    It might be in the pppd process or it might be in the compiled
> kernel ppp support code.  I can do the "reportbug" program to get
> this properly entered in the bug tracking system so just tell me
> which seems to be the appropriate package.
>
>    Here is a brief description:
> ---
>    When a single packet is received from the serial port there is
> approx. a 60% probability that it will NOT be passed thru to the
> application for approx. 3.75 SECONDS.  Or, until another packet
> arrives and (apparently) "pushes" it throught the pipe.
>    This effect is seen in ping tests, in ftp transactions, and in
> tcp (html) sessions passing over this PPP path.  I've used tcpdump
> to capture time information simultaneously at both ends of the PPP
> path to verify that the delayed packet was, in fact, sent from one
> end but not released by the ppp process at the other end.
[snip 'more details' as they endorse the description]

Well, it looks like a PPP link-level problem...

Questions:
-  I presume both peers are the same kernel/ppp version?

-  What sort of cable are you using ? RS232 is not really *one*
   standard, but many. Most importantly: is it a 3-wire or 7-wire (iirc
   "7" but not quite sure about the exact number).

-  What are you ppp options (on both sides, obviously excluding any
   password stuff) ?  I'd expect to see the ppp options matching the
   cable type.  Flow control and compression is especially interesting
   here.  Also, if chap-interval/eap-interval is set, this will
   obviously cause a serial-link-"lump" every N seconds...

-  Anything suspicious in the kernel logs about the serial ports?
   (either side?)

-  Any interesting system log entries from ppp?

If none of the above bears fruit, you may get some results from running
ppp manually with debug switched on ("pppd $usual_options debug
nodetach")...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen