I want to start in textmode.
In /etc/inittab
I commented out the following line
id:2:initdefault:
as follows:
# id:2:initdefault:
and added the following:
id:3:initdefault:
but etch continues to boot up to an X login.
What runlevel number is needed?

2

# id:2:initdefault:
In slackware 10.0, runlevel 3 is textmode.....

In Debian you use runlevel 2 for everything.
(I'd better say there's no need to use another runlevel).
You'll run on 2 by default whether you use X or not.

I'd rm /etc/rc2.d/S30gdm (also xdm and kdm).

I think you can use also the "alternatives" for that and I guess this
is the debian way.

I think that:

echo /bin/true > /etc/X11/default-display-manager

could work.

Check /etc/init.d/[x, g, k]dm to see how those scripts use the alternatives.

Regards,
Nelson.-

--
http://arhuaco.org