Etch Xorg memory leak?

I'm having trouble with Xorg under Etch i386 and similar annoyance under
amd64.

Over time, xorg takes up more and more memory.  On my i386, I only have
64 MB of ram so I can only run X for about 45 minutes before the system
thrashes.  Eventually, Xorg dies but doesn't release the screen.  If I
let the system sit for about 60 minutes, the thrashing subsides and I
can ssh in and reboot to get my screen back.  Hard on the disk, but the
i386 is only a client box.

On my amd64 Athlon64, I have 1 GB of ram so can run xorg; I haven't left
this computer run long enough to run out of memory and thrash since its
my main box; it gets turned off at night and through the day acts as a
server.  In the evening if I want to access the big screen, I'll run X
for a couple of hours.

This happens irrespective of window manager or DTE; on the i386 icewm
takes up less memory so Xorg will run longer before thrashing than if
I'm running xfce.  It also happens if I don't use a wm at all and just
run rxvt.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Is it fixed in Lenny/Sid?  Any plans to fix
it for Etch?

Thanks,
Doug.