Re: how to specify optical USB mouse in XF86Config-4

On 5/13/07, Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks!
in etch, it is auto-configed

Now I want to config it in sarge. I enter

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

but I don't know which mouse option I should select.

and which kernel module I should load?

In a text-mode VT, try the command "cat /dev/input/mice" and move your mouse; you should see ASCII garbage generated. (Ctrl-C to quit, followed by "reset" typed blindly if necessary.)

If that generates garbage, then "/dev/input/mice" is what you want in your config file. If it does not generate garbage, you may need to modprobe mouse or usbmouse or usbhid or any of several others; I never can remember exactly. You can install "modconf" and run it, and install any promising looking modules via a text-based "point-and-click" interface until you find the correct [combination of] module[s]. That's usually what I used to do.

If you have an Etch box running with a USB mouse, you can "lsmod" on that box and look for any relevant USB and/or mouse and/or input modules and try them on the Sarge box.

--
Kent West