Re: Updated Sid today, xorg cannot find "nvidia" driver

First of all, I'd like to emphasize that I haven't read all the posts
related to this problem thoroughly, since there is probably more than one
reason of such behavior.

Anyway, I wanted to report that I am using nvidia-glx-legacy and after I
have upgraded my Debian Sid today, my Xorg refused to start up after
reboot. The log message was exactly the same as quoted below.

Curt Howland wrote:
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't load module nvidia
>> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
>> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> Ron Johnson, Jr. suggested:
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers
>
> Ok, I looked there and found nvidia_drv.o
>
> All the rest of the files are *.so
> (...)
> I put in a link nvidia_drv.so => nvidia_drv.o, and tried again, still no
> luck.

I've tried:

ld nvidia_drv.o -shared -o nvidia_drv.so

And it worked. Maybe this will help some users and probably attract package
maintainers' attention to this issue. I suspect that the Xorg behavior
changed so that .o drivers are not loaded anymore. As far as my opinion is
concerned, regardless of the advice given and positive reports that could
be found here, I still consider this problem as not solved, because a
regular update rendered my system unusable.

--
Michał Wróbel
xmxwx@asn.pl