Re: Re: debconf problem in foomatic-filters

Florian,

Thank you for the helpful pointers.  Further examination showed an
inconsistency in the debconf database.  The template

	"foomatic-filters/gspath"

was reserved by "foomatic-filters/textfilter" (the user defined by
debconf-communicate).  Deleting the entry manually in
/var/cache/debconf/templates.dat made the installation of
"foomatic-filters_3.0.2-20061031-1.2_all.deb" run smoothly, as you had
reported.

I could not determine what caused the inconsistency.  The mailing list
is copied just in case someone encounters a similar problem.

Thanks to all the developers of our great operating system!

Sincerely,
Felix

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 17:35:26 -0500, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have the following problem when trying to re-install foomatic-filters
> on my system.  One of the recent upgrades broke the package.  Can
> anybody tell from the information below where the problem should be
> reported?
>
> Package maintainer Chris Lawrence has not yet responded.
>
> Sincerely,
> Felix

Strange, this version installed on my both Sid systems without problems
(as part of normal upgrades).

>    For some reason, the config mechanism for "foomatic-filters/gspath"
> fails.  I suspect the templates file is not read correctly.
>
> I checked the bug reports and could not find a matching description.
>
> With DEBCONF_DEBUG set to 'developer', the installation produces the
> following output:
>
> debconf (developer): <-- INPUT low foomatic-filters/gspath
> debconf (developer): --> 10 "foomatic-filters/gspath" doesn't exist
> debconf (developer): <-- GO
> debconf (developer): --> 0 ok
> debconf (developer): <-- GET foomatic-filters/gspath
> debconf (developer): --> 10 foomatic-filters/gspath doesn't exist
> dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--install):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>  foomatic-filters
>
> Setting "gspath" manually in your config file by including
>
> db_set foomatic-filters/gspath "gs" ;
>
> only produces another error message:
>
> debconf (developer): <-- SET foomatic-filters/gspath gs
> debconf (developer): --> 10 foomatic-filters/gspath doesn't exist
> dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--install):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>  foomatic-filters

What happens if you set gspath to the full "/usr/bin/gs"? You do have at
least one of the gs-* packages installed, right?

I just checked the package description and it seems that
foomatic-filters lists "gs-esp | gs" only as a recommendation and not as
a dependency. This may mean that gs is not present on your system and it
should probably be changed to "depends" if the post-inst assumes that gs
is available.

--
Regards,
          Florian