Re: usb/cups printer problem after etch upgrade

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 08:18:10AM -0700, Nick Jacobs wrote:

> Florian Kulzer-3 wrote:
> >
> > As far as I understand udev, it should always use the lowest free lpX
> > node for a new printer.
> >
> That's just the problem, it doesn't always. If it did that consistently,
> nobody would have had a problem when upgrading from devfs/hotplug. It looks
> to me as though we have "upgraded" from something that was stable and worked
> (despite having some theoretical deficiencies) to something that is
> bug-ridden and unsuitable for general use (despite being theoretically
> wonderful).

just .02, and not trying to deny or put down anyone's problems with
udev. And I'm sure you ()and many) are very frustrated.

I've had exactly 0 (zero) trouble with udev from day one on my 5 real
and 3 virtual debian machines. I suspect that is the case in most
applications. I think that the issue is that when it does go wrong, it
can go horribly wrong. But I also think it is plenty ready for general
usage.

cheers