Re: iceape (mozilla browser) and CSS of gallery website

Joe Hart wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/11/07 16:33, H.S. wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> If I try to enlarge the fonts (CTRL+Wheel) in iceape of this website:
>>> http://gallery.menalto.com/
>>> the menus, or those little gray background windows, on the right hand
>>> jump into the middle of the page after a few magnification steps.
>>> Is it just my iceape or is something wrong with the web page (bad CSS)?
>>> This is on Debian Etch, fully updated.
>> Same thing happens to me with iceweasel.  As for whether it's a
>> Mozilla or page issue, good question...  :\
>

> With my test (with iceweasel and konqueror), it depends on how large you
> make the text.  If it goes beyond a certain level, yes the windows move.
>  The way I see it, it is poor web page design.
>
> Joe

"poor web page design" is a bit extreme I think. The error occurs after
different number of zoom ins for iceweasel and konqueror (different
browsers, different zoom ratios maybe?). Zoom levels being different for
different browsers, one can't define till how may zoom-ins the layout
works. Plus after a few zoom-ins almost every page on the web becomes
hard to read.

Take for example the BBC News home page http://news.bbc.co.uk Text
starts to jumble up because of breaking layout after 7 or 8
zoom-ins(iceweasel, mouse-wheel zoom). However, the page is easily
readable with only 1 or 2 zoom-ins. Would I call it poor web page
design? No. The layout breaking problem will occur for all pages at some
point if your client allows you more zoom-ins.

I would rather judge a page with: "Is the page readable after 2-3
zoom-ins(or 125% or 150%)"? The gallery menalto web page works fine for
that criteria. I would consider the problem a bug(solution provided in
other post) rather than name it poor web page design.

Regards,
/KS