Re: iceape (mozilla browser) and CSS of gallery website

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/11/07 16:33, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> If I try to enlarge the fonts (CTRL+Wheel) in iceape of this website:
>> http://gallery.menalto.com/
>
>> the menus, or those little gray background windows, on the right hand
>> jump into the middle of the page after a few magnification steps.
>
>> Is it just my iceape or is something wrong with the web page (bad CSS)?
>
>> This is on Debian Etch, fully updated.
>
> Same thing happens to me with iceweasel.  As for whether it's a
> Mozilla or page issue, good question...  :\

The behaviour should be the same for other browsers which adhere to the
CSS2.1 standard. The cause of the the supposedly abnormal behaviour is
the number of floats on the page.

The two links on the top right: downloads and documentation - are both
floats and are floated to right.
The rectangles on the right side of the page (Latest Releases, Gallery,
Navigation, etc.) are in a right floated block-level element too.

The above said problem happens(after a few Ctrl++ font
increase/zoom-ins) when the bottom edge of the block containing the
two-top links (#header-links) goes lower than the top edge of the right
sidebar (rightcolumn). The explanation of this behaviour can be
understood if one reads the CSS2.1 specification section 9.5.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#propdef-float especially point
#5 and #3 in section 9.5.1.

An easy solution to this is to add a new property clear: both; to the
rule .rightcolumn.

HTH,
/KS