Re: default email program

On Saturday 12 May 2007 04:25, Jesus Arocho wrote:
> On Friday 11 May 2007 18:08, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm in KDE, but IIRC, in Gnome you go to "preferences", "more
> > > preferences", and then "preferred applications". Then you can set your
> > > preferred webbrowser, email client, etc. Just select Kmail for your
> > > email client, and your done.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > It is actually,
> >
> >         Desktop (in the top panel) > Preferences > Preferred Applications
> >
> > Good Luck!
> > Dennis
> >
> > Standardization! Standardization! My mouse for some standardization!
>
> My desktop (kde) preference is set to kmail.  To no avail, when I click on
> an email url iceweasel tries to start evolution.  I also tried inserting a
> string pointing to /usr/bin/kmail in about:config using a firefox template
> string and that also failed.

Ola Jesus. Iceweasel/Firefox is basically a Gnome app. At least it's safe to
say that it isn't a KDE app. Therefore the default email reader that Firefox
wants to use is going to be a Gnome on, and in this case is Evolution.

To change the email client you have to use a Gnome tool, which is the
"preferred applications" tool.

So in KDE, open your "Home" directory, and go back through the file system to.
/usr/share/applications.  Scroll down a bit, and click on the
"default-applications.desktop" file, which will open up on your desktop.

This shows the default setting for the webbrowser, and email client.

To change the email reader, click on the arrow at the end of the "custom" box,
and you'll see a list of email clients. Click on Kmail, and Iceweasel/Firefox
will now use Kmail instead of Evolution.

Hope that fixes it for you.

Nigel.