Re: Removing Gnome

> On 05/10/07 19:38, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> I have decided that I prefer the KDE interface more than Gnome.  Is
> it ok to just uninstall the entire Gnome package?  Is there an easy
> way to remove them with just a single command at the command prompt?

I've done this before.  It was pretty easy.  Stick with whatever package
manager you've been using (aptitude really is the best, but only if
used in isolation; so, if you've been using synaptic/adept, stay with
that).

Basically, start by removing the meta-packages first.  A "meta-package"
is just a group, or cluster, of packages.  The meta-package "gnome" is
the biggest, and will remove almost all of gnome.  If this isn't
installed, then gnome-bin is another one, and gnome-core, yet another.
Get rid of these.  That is very simple, and should get rid of most of
gnome.  If anything is left, just toss it.  For instance, toss anything
with the word "gnome" in its name. Then, toss all of the following
(the eventual kde replacements I've got in brackets): epiphany,
nautilus (both to be replaced with konqueror), evince (kpdf), totem
(kaffeine), evolution (kdepim), file-roller (ark), synaptic (adept),
gdm (kdm), gnomebaker (k3b).

Actually, after tossing gnome, you could just install the meta-package
kde, which gives you everything.  If you want to be more selective,
just go for kdebase, and kdebase-bin, and select other kde based
programs (as mentioned above) to go with the base.

Note, many features of kdm are controlled via the KDE Control Centre,
and not within kdm itself (it took me a while to figure this out).
It works as well as gdm.  If you wish, though, you can stick with gdm,
but, when I did it, I switched everything over to kde, and was happier
for it (I did this on a work computer - the one I have at home still
uses gnome, or ion3 when I want something that uses less resources).

Mark