Re: Etch AMD64 fun and excitement

On Fri, 11 May 2007 16:27:09 -0400
"Curt Howland" <Howland@Priss.com> wrote:

> Hi. I have a new machine that I'm setting for my mother, a HP Pavilion
> 6305. AMD Turion-64x2, which seems to be very nice.
>
> I only ran Vista long enough to make a restore DVD, and even that one
> exercise ran smack-dab into Vista's "Deny, Permit?" insanity. Just one
> command, and already I loath Vista.
>
> So first I installed Etch i386 because I didn't have an AMD64 install
> disk, and things worked acceptably well. The broadcom wireless card
> wouldn't work, nor the Nvidia kernel module. But "nv" driver works, so
> I'm ok with that.
>
> I pulled down the AMD64 DVD#1, and installed from that. As before, the
> install went without surprises, except that the Nvidia card and
> display were _not_ detected by name and type as they were in the i386
> install. I had to set the "nv" driver by hand.
>
> The Broadcom wireless card again does not work, and neither does the
> Nvidia kernel driver, even though it specifically lists the GeForce Go
> 6150 as supported hardware. Oh well.
>
> I've ordered an Intel replacement for the Broadcom card, I'll know in
> 3 days or so if that makes any difference. Wireless is, sad to say,
> _important_. If the Intel card fails also, I saw an Atheros based mini
> PCI-E card for sale, and my present machine uses an Atheros based
> mini-PCI card.
>
> What finally inspired me to write this note was that Google Earth
> failed to install.
>
> ---------------
> Verifying archive integrity... All good.
> Uncompressing Google Earth for GNU/Linux
> 4.1.7076.4458..........................................................................
> setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/setup.gtk2: error while loading shared
> libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/setup.gtk: error while loading shared
> libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> The setup program seems to have failed on amd64
> ---------------
>
> The system is fast enough with the i386 binaries that I don't mind
> going back to that if Google Earth won't work under AMD64. Because
> this machine is not going to be used for compiling, or anything else
> really intensive, I don't think there is going to be any perceptable
> performance hit from doing so.
>
> I would appreciate a discussion with someone who has used the AMD64
> install, to see if there are things that I should know that I don't.
>
> A big hats-off to the AMD64 team. I'm pleased that my expectations of
> seamlessness, after trying both i386 and SPARC Debian, have been more
> than met.
>
> Curt-

The Intel wireless card should work fine if it's the 2200 or 3945
model.  I personally use the 3945 model under AMD64 Debian.  In order
to use the Intel wireless and Nvidia non-free drivers you'll need to
add the non-free sections in apt.  There are Debian instructions for
using the Nvidia drivers as well.  I got them working under my old
desktop so they should work for you.  The problems with Google earth
are probably (I'm guessing) due to you not having a working OpenGL
environment.  The free nv driver if I recall correctly does not have 3d
acceleration support.

Ananda