Re: XFCE, and Gnome

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:09 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:33:57 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 16:51 +0530, Masatran, R. Deepak wrote:
> > > XFCE advertises itself as a fast window manager. But since both are based on
> > > GTK, won't Gnome be equally fast? What is it that makes XFCE faster than
> > > Gnome?
> >
> > Try it. Experience it. You can easily install it and try it, without
> > losing anything.
> >
> > Main reason it doesn't have the "configuration" daemons or backend
> > components that require resources. It does have some stuff.
> >
> > It also removes features, which is misguided. XFCE has everything I want
> > and then some.

XFCE is my default desktop now. Proudly. It works with all the bell,
buttons, widgets, function, window behavior, effects... I want.

> Which removes features, which is misguided?

GNOME. Case goes like this. Peep likes to use feature X in GNOME.
Discovers a bug in feature X, files a bug against it. GNOME team(s) look
at it, ponder and ask for guidance from the Mighty Jeff Waugh, who then
consults in a dark and cryptic language called "sane defaults and user
don't know what they need". They then pronounce feature X is deprecated
and no longer supported in GNOME, except by another crypotic program
called "gconf-tool".

This is just an example and might possibly be embellished by the
explaining individual (me). Just look and make a call for yourself.

>  I think I'm misguided :).

Using GNOME? Yes, yes you are.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net