Re: Are volume labels a file-system thing?

Hendrik Boom wrote:
I just discovered that the commands for reading ans setting volume labels
have 'e2' in their names, like e2label.  Does this mean that I can label
my partitions only if I put an ext2 of ext3 file system on them?  Or is
there some other mechanism I should know about?

Labels are specific to each file system type, because the superblock is where it's stored, and each FS has a different format for that area on disk.

You will need to do a bit of research, but each FS type should have a program available to create/edit labels. As you discovered, for ext[23] the program is 'e2label'. For XFS, it's 'xfs_admin'. I did some man searching, using the 'SEE ALSO' section, several times before looking for some of the specific programs in the /sbin and /usr/sbin directories.

Upshot is that once you know the general form used for FS specific commands (e2 or xfs_ prefix, for example), you can just do:

   ls /sbin/xfs* /usr/sbin/xfs*

And then use man on whatever command looks most promising. If you're lucky, the name will actually have 'label' in it ;)

Bob