Re: (S)ATA exceptions, disk frozen

On 4/17/07, Gebhardt Thomas <gebhardt@hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
Hi,

we have about 60 opteron servers running sarge amd64 with a
2.6.20.3 vanilla kernel (previously they were running 2.6.18.1;
I installed the newer kernel in the hope that the problem would disappear).

At a rate of about 1-2 per week the SATA disk in a server freezes and
I have to reboot. Because of the statistical nature of the effect (and since
smartctl -a doesn't display any errors) I conclude that this is not a hardware
issue but a software problem.

Any idea how to narrow down the problem?

look at http://www.debianhelp.org/node/6931

--
my place on the web:
floss-and-misc.blogspot.com