Re: Really annoying.

Ron Johnson wrote:

>> Considering that I am still a noob, I can feel proud that I can pluck
>> things from experimental and still have no broken packages.  I have even
>> managed to edit a few files and written a couple of scripts, Oh boy.
>
> Heh.  Everyone starts out as a newbie.  My first Linux was
> pre-installed Mandrake.  I'd have never survived Debian back then
> when Woody was still Testing.

Ack.

>> Why don't I run Sid?  The same reason many others run Lenny.  They are
>> afraid of Sid.  Although I have to say, problems get fixed in Sid long
>> before they get fixed in Lenny, and as I am getting more familiar with
>> Debian, I am becoming less afraid of it.  At least I am no longer
>> running Kubuntu.  I got bored with Etch because it is too stable for me
>> to learn how to fix things.  I was planning on running Lenny when I
>> found Sidux.  It seemed the best fit for me.  Maybe I should try Sid
>> directly and see what the difference is.  I have a feeling that it is
>> less than I think, but there's only one way to find out.
>
>> But I would not recommend people new to GNU/Linux to run Sid.  I still
>> only have less than a year's experience.  It's only been a couple of
>> months since I formatted my ntfs partition.
>
> Too true.  I recommend Ubuntu to newbies, especially those who only
> know Windows.

I recommend Kubuntu, only because of my disklike of the Gnome project.

>> Tomorrow my Etch is going to turn into Sid.  I let you know how it does.
>>  Worst case scenario I can reinstall Etch.
>
>> I accept your challenge.
>
> I hope your /home is on a separate partition!!!!

Of course it is.  Actually I have more than one (because I have multiple
distributions installed and don't let them share the /home).  I alse
have backups, so if I do anything before having to reinstall from
scratch, I would try restoring a backup.

But the whole point of this exercise is for me to test whether I can
handle the bumps of Sid, so restoring or rinstalling will be last on my
list.

Joe
- --