Re: Command line wave player

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:42:06PM -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
I seem to recall a linux command line wave player -- wavp, or
waveplay, or something like that? Does that ring any bells with
anybody?

Alternatively, has anyone tried to build the *bsd audioplay package on linux?

Last time I needed to play a wav, I just used cat.  I think it was to
/dev/audio or /dev/dsp, I forget which.
They both work here, but /dev/dsp produced much clearer sound than /dev/audio. The one thing to note with this method, however, is that gsm encoded .wav files, which are much smaller (and therefore good for speech, but maybe not for music) do NOT work when just catted to /dev/dsp or /dev/audio. They also do not work with aplay from the alsa packages, but play, from the sox package works just fine with them.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com