Re: How can I refresh Etch completely?

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 18:54 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I think I have something basically wrong with my system.
>
> Programs that nobody else has problems with fail with
> a floating point exception.

[snip]
> Any way, any ideas short of the old Windows stand by,
> "Format the hard drive and reinstall"?

Well, if I were you. The first thing I would do is create a *COMPLETELY*
new user, using the console,(CTRL-ALT-F1) or do a "telinit 1" and then
add the user.

Reboot, login as that user in GDM and see what happens.

*IF* that works then you know you only need to kill ALL of your $HOMEDIR
settings in regard to gnome and gconf.

The list following of directories (and files) is by no means complete,
but here the list I usually go by:

        .gnome
        .gnome_private
        .gnome2
        .gnome2_private
        .gconf
        .gconfd
        .dbus
        .fontconfig
        .gftp
        .gimp*
        .gstreamer
        .gxine
        .gtk*
        .metacity
        .nautilus
        .themes
        .xine
        .xmms
        .Trash

I find, that upgrading GNOME is no the smartest thing in life to do. But
I can't complain.

But If you don't have any luck with the new user method, there are ways
to "re-install" everything.

It a labor of love, but doable. Write us back if you have luck or not
with the new user.

Hopefully, that'll be the end of it.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net