Re: Command line wave player

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:42:06PM -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
I seem to recall a linux command line wave player -- wavp, or
waveplay, or something like that? Does that ring any bells with
anybody?

Alternatively, has anyone tried to build the *bsd audioplay package on linux?

Last time I needed to play a wav, I just used cat.  I think it was to
/dev/audio or /dev/dsp, I forget which.

These days you should be using a program like 'aplay'. /dev/dsp is an obsolete interface, using it will invoke (at least one) compatibility layer, and what's more it can't handle different kinds of wav files like ALSA's aplay command can.

Doug.

--
Andrew J. Barr
(614) 581-3537 (Verizon Wireless)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
	-- Sinclair Lewis, 1935