Re: Failed to install: "Detect and mount CD-ROM" failed

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 12:14:53PM +0100, Stephen Turner wrote:
> Trying to install etch from the netinst CD on a two-month old desktop
> machine.
>
> Boot from CD, choose language and location, and then it fails to find
> the CD drive:
>
>  Detect and mount CD-ROM
>  No common CD-ROM drive was detected.
>
> I have previously installed on an even newer laptop from the same CD.

newness of the laptop is irrelevant. What is relevant is what the
parts in the laptop are. Several people have seen this problem because
some new motherboards are using some kind of SATA to IDE bridge that
leaves a CD unavailable between initial boot and the point when CD
drivers are later installed by the kernel. I think the installer falls
into the gap there and fails as a result.

> Any clues how to start diagnosing this?

Some have been able to get live-cd's to boot in this scenario and you
could then use debootstrap to install.

how about providing more specific information about the system and
maybe folks can help then.