Re: Problems with Xorg video

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 01:20, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> [ It would be better not to top-post. You increase your chances of more
>   people joining in to help you if every individual message can be read
>   like a chronological story by someone who does not remember the
>
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 14:01:54 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > Florian,
> >
> > I made some progress, but I am beginnning to believe that I have put
> > myself in a world of hurt.
>
> You could also think of it as an interesting learning experience lying
> ahead of you...
>
> > I got past not finding the i810 card by inserting the correct bus address
> > (see below). But now it complains that I am missing module i915. So, I
> > think I made a big mistake installing xorg! I should have gone to the
> > dentist for a root canal (without novacaine) instead of mucking with my
> > computer! ;-)
>
> I think we can make this significantly less painful than having a root
> canal without anesthetic.
>
> > My version of sarge probably does not support xorg, so I should be using
> > xfree86. How do I remove all the X stuff and start over again and install
> > xfree86. I am using kernel 2.6.8-2-386. THanks!
>
> I think the problem may be that your version of the kernel lacks the
> kernel part of the graphics drivers which is needed by Xorg. Essentially
> you have three options now:
>
> 1) Switch to the "vesa" driver. There is a good chance that it will work
>    because it uses a generic way to address the video hardware without
>    any fancy tricks. The downside is that there will be no hardware
>    accelerated graphics rendering. This might be acceptable if you
>    mainly intend to do things like word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
>    If you need anything that uses 3D rendering then you can more or less
>    forget about vesa.
>
> 2) Upgrade your kernel to the latest version that is available as a
>    backport for Sarge. This may or may not work and it also involves a
>    udev upgrade. You can of course also try to compile a newer kernel
>    yourself. Overall it might be easier to just upgrade to Etch and be
>    done with it, though.
>
> 3) Remove Xorg and reinstall XFree86. You can probably trigger the
>    removal of Xorg by telling apt(itude) to purge package libx11-6. This
>    should take the rest of Xorg with it. With aptitude you could also
>    use something like
>
>    aptitude --purge-unused purge '~i(~dxorg|~dx11|~dxfree)'
>
>    This command asks for the purging of everything that has "xorg",
>    "x11" or "xfree" in its package description. (I am not 100% sure if
>    Sarge's version of aptitude already supports this type of pattern
>    matching.)
>
> I will keep the most important parts of your xorg log in this message,
> just in case. It does not give me any more ideas, but maybe somebody
> else notices something. I am a bit surprised that it does not seem to
> indicate complete failure to start X.
>
> > Here is the ouput you requested:
> [...]

Florian,

Thanks for all your help. I went ahead and upgraded the kernel and then to
etch, which seems to be working well now. The only problem is that the
process removed gnome and installed kde. No big deal, I just installed gnome,
and now I have both! And no data loss! I was surprised (but I shouldn't have
been) when, after installing gnome, I clicked on evolution and all my address
books, messages, etc. were right where they should be. The debian developers
are great!! :-)

The only hitch is that gdm is complaining about a bad line in its
configuration file. I had no idea which line was bad. However, the
differences between the old sarge gdm.conf and the new etch gdm.conf were so
great, that I just copied over the new default gdm.conf and now it works.

I upgraded to etch because I began to suspect that (1) I had to upgrade the
kernel to get the i915 module, and (2) I was missing the xorg fonts. Since I
was upgrading the kernel, why not go all the way and move to etch? So I did,
and it worked. The fonts were still missing, but I found the right package
and all is well with the world. Now, it is time to become productive again!

I will keep your notes on how to remove X - I googled for something like that,
but couldn't find something as succinct as your plan. Thanks!

Have a great day!

Mark