Re: Etch install

Andrew M.A. Cater a écrit :
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:23:09PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm new to linux, debian and etch. I've loaded etch onto another computer and am lost. I used the gui loader and expected to get to a place that was helpful but no way. When I power up I get what appears to be a gnome desktop with some games but I have no idea how to get a word processor or open office from here. I thought that would have all been loaded by the installer. I need help.
>>
>> Bob
>
> You may find it useful to wrap your lines at about 72 characters.
>
> Use synaptic - Debian GUI package manager - or, open a terminal
> and (commands indented by one tab stop below for emphasis only)
>
> 	su - <Enter>
>
> 	[Give root password] (prompt will probably change to a #)
>
> 	aptitude install openoffice.org<Enter>
>
> When aptitude finishes,
>
> exit<Enter> (will put you back to being a normal user)
>
> Synaptic / aptitude and/or apt-get are what you need here.
> man aptitude will tell you more than enough to get you
> started :)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Andy

Just to add: aptitude may warn you that it will install several software
packages. This is normal, because in the world of free software, most
applications make use of other software under the hood (this avoids duplicating
work). Don't be scared, aptitude gets it right 99.9% of the time, so you just
have to accept what it proposes.

Cheers,
Baptiste