Re: Problem with compiling kernel

On Tue,  8 May 2007 05:37:58 +0200 (CEST), pizzapie linuxanchovies
<embedded@verizon.net> said:

> I was following a tutorial
> (http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html) for
> compiling a custom kernel, and got to the stage where it said to run
> this: "fakeroot make-kpkg clean" However, this command generated a
> bunch of errors saying this: dpkg-architecture: failure: dpkg
> --print-installation-architecture filed: Permission denied

> Now it's easy enough to see that only root has execute permission for
> dpkg on my machine. I guess I'm just wondering what a "reasonable way"
> to fix this problem is in Debian:

        Why is it only possible to run dpkg as root on your machine?
__> dpkg --print-installation-architecture
i386

        That worked just fine as an ordinary user (and, dpkg is in
 /usr/bin -- which ought to be in the users path).  So, the default in
 Debian is to allow ordinary users to run dpkg (well, some actions, like
 installing packages, require more privileges)

        manoj
--
Acting is an art which consists of keeping the audience from coughing.