Re: Sid, xorg and fglrx

On 07 May 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 07 May 2007, Tim Wood wrote:
> My thanks for all the comments.
> > I tried the latest ATI driver 8.36.5 but the included check.sh shows the > Xserver as 1.3.0 and there is no target for that. > > In regard to the HP Nx 8420 itself, it is 3 months old, ACPI works on > both the 2.6.18 and 2.6.20 kernels in the 686 and AMD64 versions. > > Guess I'm just going to have to wait for it to be sorted out. I'm not > sure I have the skills to go back to the previous X version. > > Tim >

As I have an ATI Mobile X1400 in my Thinkpad Z61M there is no option to
use a different graphics card. Reverting to the previous version of Xorg
was perfectly simple, however. I just removed xserver-xorg, pointed
/etc/apt/sources.list at testing and reinstalled. I've now placed
xserver-xorg-core on hold.
Great idea. I went back to 2.6.18 and did as you suggested. I still had the 2.6.18 driver deb in the archive and was able to use dpkg to install it. Working fine back at 1680*1050.

Thank you very much for that suggestion.

One point though. How will I know when it is safe to upgrade?

Tim