Re: exim4 error?

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:56:21PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I got no reponse at all previously -- perhaps too general a question.
>
> Does anyone recognise this set of messages on /var/log/exim4/mainlog:
>
> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o ** --@the-place.net: Unrouteable address
> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o ** hdrs@the-place.net: Unrouteable
> address
> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o ** -r@the-place.net
> <-R@the-place.net>: Unrouteable address
> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o ** delay@the-place.net: Unrouteable
> address
> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o ** failure@the-place.net: Unrouteable
> address

all these unrouteable addresses mean that your machine can't figure
out how to get to these addresses. Looks like its trying a bunch of
different addresses for the same mail, why is that?

> 2007-05-05 13:35:42 1HkJUE-000170-0o *> someone@domain.tld R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp_smartho
> st H=smtp.bytemark.co.uk [80.68.81.166]

so then the mail ends up getting routed to a smarthost (which you in
theory have setup). So the mail is leaving your system and headed to
that smarthost. The question is, what happens to it then?

Can you please review your setup and how you think it should be
working? include stuff like whether it goes to a smarthost or not,
whether it runs through a local server or straight from exim on your
machine etc etc.