Re: PCI controller issues and stable Debian vs latest ubuntu

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:48:34AM +0000, Tim Johnson wrote:
> I have a background with rh and slack.
> Am a programmer and prefer the command line.
> A long-term debian user persuaded me to try ubuntu when I showed an
> interest in debian.
> To make a long story short, I've ended up with the kubuntu 7.04,
> because earlier (and presumably more stable) ubuntu distros didn't recognize
> my nic card.
> Below is a dump from lspci. I would welcome comments as to whether the
> stable debian distribution will recognize these devices.
> ## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[snip lspci]
> ## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I'm entertaining re-installing with deb if it won't be too much trouble, I'd
> welcome advice on other diagnostics to provide to make this decision.
> Ubuntu is "sold" on ease of install, but I'd rather spend some more time
> installing for a stabler platform.

I've never used ubuntu.  The longest task of installing Debian is
reading the installation manual.  I find it takes me about 20 minutes to
install from scratch to a base system.  I'm on dialup and have learned
the hard way to just get the install overwith before having it try the
net.

Since you're new to debian you'll want the 'standard' task, which will
not give you a GUI.  This is a good thing.  Use lynx or links2 to peruse
the online documents (plus don't forget the man pages), aptitude to
search packages (get the aptitude-doc package early), and learn the
system from the ground up.  Although it can be a little dense, the
debian-policy manual is good to understand why things are the way they
are.  The debian-reference manual is a little dated (ie referrs to
Woody) and Xfree86 is now Xorg, but its still a good book to have handy.

As for will your devices work, your best bet is to get the netinst.iso
and boot it.  Go to the second console and check the dmesg to compare
with your list.

Good luck,

Doug.