Re: swap

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 05:24 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/07/07 04:53, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Is it conceivable to add a low-quality 300GB HD (for
> > swap file) to a raid1 system?
> >
> > The system consists of
> >
> > ---Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE mother board
> > ---Two WD Raptor 150GB each
> > ---Two Dual Opteron
> > ---16 GB ram
> >
> > In computations, I can presently offer 96GB as swap
> > (my home), though it is not enough. Actually I started
> > my system with two Maxtor HD 300GB each, though, on
> > long runs, they proved incompatible with the mother
> > board and had to be replaced.
> >
> > Thanks for advice
>
> 96 GIGABYTES of swap space????????????????????????????
>
> If that's not enough, you need a very large, expensive SPARC or
> Superdome system.

I've part-time admin'd (contracted) a couple of systems that required
128GB of swap during batch processing "middle of the night" setups.
Primarily because of the inner looping of some of the jobs and the
amount of "stored" info hanging in memory. Rather than fix the batch
processing system, which came from an AS400 (which originally was on an
IBM 36 system), the company suggested swap as a workaround.

This is a medical billing system that has been around since... the 70's
and has only been extended and never "refactored" or optimized. The
reason being, they are afraid that the system will break. Being written
in COBOL and some kind of JPL.

Lets just say that the whole batching thing could easily be done
dynamically, but would require a huge amount of work to re-factor and
optimize the code for machines being produced now-a-day. But the fact
that this package cost upward of $500K for maintenance per year per
machine running it, says a lot doesn't it. Its a milker.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05