mounting LVM partitions fails after etch upgrade

hi all,

I have just upgraded my sarge system to etch, following exactly the upgrade instructions at http://www.us.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ .

now my system does not boot correctly anymore... I'm using RAID1 with two disks, / is on md0 and all other mounts (/home/, /var, /usr etc) are on md1 using LVM.

the first problem is that during boot, only md0 gets started. I can get around this by specifying break=mount on the kernel boot line and manually starting md1, but where need I change what so that md1 gets started at this point as well?

after manually starting md1 and continuing to boot, I get errors like

[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /var] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/mapper/volg1-b
/var: recovering journal
/var contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/var:
Inode 184326 has illegal block(s)
/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e. without the -a or -o options)

... same for all other partitions on that volume group

fsck died with exit status 4
A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable. (it is not)

at this point I get dropped to a maintenance shell. when I select to continue the boot process:

EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors. running e2fsck is recommended
EXT3 FS on dm-4, internal journal
EXT3-FS: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

... same for all mounts (same for dm-3, dm-2, dm-1, dm-0)

EXT3-fs error (device dm-1) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device dm-1) in ext3_orphan)write: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device dm-1) in ext3_orphan_del: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device dm-1) in ext3_truncate_write: Journal has aborted
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device dm-1): ext3_journal)_start_sb: Detected aborte djournal
Remounting filesystem read-only

and finally I get tons of these:

dm-0: rw-9, want=6447188432, limit=10485760
attempt to access beyond end of device

the system then stops for a long time (~5 minutes) at "starting systlog service" but eventually the login prompt comes up, and I can log in, see all my data, and even (to my surprise) write to the partitions on md1...

what the hell is going on here? thanks a lot in advance for any help!

best,
- Dave