Re: Remote HOME with SSHfs

Hi,

it may not be exactly what you wanted in the first place:

Have you thought about having your home in a svn repo? I had (after
some quirks with the first checkout) most of my $HOME (including
dotfiles, excluding .subversion) in a svn and it works very reliably.

Pros:

disconnected operations (no problems with chicken egg problems - e.g.
I need my ssh key to mount the ssh file system, which is on the remote
file system)
versioned data (accidental deletions aren't a problem any more)

Cons:

needs more space (versioned data...)
you have to adapt your work cycle slightly to the svn workcycle...
(but that could be handled by login/logout scripts mostly)

hth
martin

On 5/5/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 12:23:58AM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2007 07:43:44 +1000
> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:59:09PM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > I would like to mount my HOME directory from work, using SSH/SSHfs directly
> > > on top of my local HOME, and then start a KDE session. By that all my changes
> > > will be the same both places, my mailbox will be the same and so forth.
> > >
> > > So far I have been trying but I keep getting this error:
> > >
> > > Could not read network connection list.
> > > /home/rico/.DCOPserver_myhome__0
> >
> > isn't this always going to be an issue, once you log in you are touching files
> > in ~ and then to reload ~ ?
> >
> > Wouldn't you have to load the filesystem first and then log in ?
>
> Yes. Thats what I am doing :-)

but if KDE is running one the machine at work, then the above file
will point to the instance of KDE that is local to that machine. If
you start another session from another machine, the could cause a
conflict. Would it not be better to use vnc or something similar?

--
Martin Marcher
martin.marcher@gmail.com