Re: HOWTO:2.6.20-1-k7 + nvidia

Hi, Based on the previous post in this thread I created a patched version of the driver archive that consists of fixed version of modpost as well as fixed version of the Makefile for the driver's kernel module. This all wrapped in a script that performs the steps automaticaly and tries to ensure system's compatibilty. If someone is intereseted in this the package can be found here : http://grizach.servebeer.com/nvpatch/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.03-pkg1-patched.run And for clarity the disclaimer that is included in the archive :
DISCLAIMER: First of all this is our very own solution and we can not guarantee
        that it will work on your computer. Allthough I don"t think so it might
        even blow your computer, more possibly just wipe something importnat ;-)
        NVidia has also nothing to do with this modified version of the driver
        so I guess no official support can be expected from them either
        last but not least this binary driver taints the kernel so no support
        is to be expected from Linus too :). The only ones that can help you
        are either we or other users that are capable of understanding what is
        going on in here.

 According to the NVidia license this version of the driver should be legally ok:
    "...Linux/FreeBSD Exception.  Notwithstanding the foregoing terms
        of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
        FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
        source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
        provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
        (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
 No binary files have been modified only Makefile.kbuild have been changed

 The fixed version of modpost is under GPL and that is why source code is included
 in the archive too.
Cheers and thanks for the original solution from Hugo, Jul
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
If you get this message with a nvidia closed driver install: FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol ‘paravirt_ops’ and you are running Sid's latest Debian stock kernel, then there is a workaround that was published in the nvidia linux forum: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87541 I have reworked the solution for Debian based upon another forum thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89844 Hugo

Sent from the Debian User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.