Re: debian way to start firewall

On Thu, 03 May 2007 17:30:47 -0700, Tom Furie <tom@lamont.dyndns.org> wrote:

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 08:04:53AM -0700, Octavio Alvarez wrote:

You might as well put some iptables-restore at the endo of the "up"
of each interface in /etc/network/interfaces. This lets you control
your firewall per interface and have only the needed rules alive.

Wouldn't you be better putting the iptables-restore stuff in the pre-up
line? That way the firewall rules are in place before the interface is
live.

I'm not sure, but I guess not. Consider a line like

-A INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

Will iptables accept the "-i eth0" before eth0 actually exists? I don't
remember.

Cheers.

--
Octavio.