Re: How do I start a X session on another machine

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 05:29:47PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:10:23PM +0100, Andrew Lindley wrote:
> > I have 2 machines running Woody and not enough desk space for both
> > screens and keyboards. I'd  like to be able to run X sessions on both
> > machines from only one of the machines. When I ran SuSE I could use
> > xhost +<host ip> to allow remote (or even other local users) access to
> > the display. This doesn't work on Debian.
>
> The debian default config is for the X server *not* to listen on any
> network ports (secure-by-default and all that). Hence, the X server will
> not be be directly available from other machines.
>
> - If you are on a LAN that you trust (=nobody will be sniffing the
>   traffic), you could consider letting the X server listen on TCP/IP.

> - Use SSH X forwarding

I _think_ that the OP isn't asking how to sit at one computer and run X
apps on the other, I think he wants to sit at one computer and run X
apps to appear on the second computer.

So, I think he should use ssh (with or without X forwarding) but he'd
have to change is display env (or specify it on the command line) so
that the X app runs on the right screen (display).

But if he's sitting at computer A and wants to run an app on computer A
but have its output show on computer B, I'm not so sure.  Maybe he has
to ssh to B, set the Display env, ssh back to A, verify the Display env,
and run the app.

Doug.