Re: pros/cons of installing from source

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 01:59:32PM +0100, yag wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to know whether installing from source rather than
> from the repositories has any advantage in terms of performance or
> something else. I didn't notice any difference when comparing
> mplayer's behavior, although compiling it myself gave me the choice
> of fine tuning the available codecs as well as installing the very
> latest version, for instance.

I'm not sure mplayer is the right program to use for this purpose
(comparing self-compiled vs. repository) unless you were to do a big
transcoding job.

Regardless, my understanding is the results are likely to be
mixed. Its true that you can tweak compile-time options and possibily
get better performance, but that's at the cost of convenience and
possibly stability.  THere are those who claim it really makes a
difference and all that compile time is worth the few seconds you save
later, but they mostly run gentoo ;)