Re: ibm T40 and xorg.conf

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 23:24:14 +0100, debian wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 09:35:42PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > Please post the output of
> >
> > ls -l /dev/input/{,by-id/}
>
> /dev/input/:
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 64 2005-02-26 06:43 event0
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 65 2005-02-26 06:43 event1
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 66 2005-02-26 06:43 event2
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 67 2005-02-26 06:43 event3
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  0 2005-02-26 06:43 js0
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  1 2005-02-26 06:43 js1
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  2 2005-02-26 06:43 js2
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13,  3 2005-02-26 06:43 js3
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 63 2005-02-26 06:43 mice
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 32 2005-02-26 06:43 mouse0
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 33 2005-02-26 06:43 mouse1
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 34 2005-02-26 06:43 mouse2
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 13, 35 2005-02-26 06:43 mouse3

I am a bit surprised that you don't have /dev/input/by-id and
/dev/input/by-path. This may indicate a udev problem or that some
modules have not been loaded. Try

modprobe psmouse
modprobe evdev

Then you can check the mice/mouse devices in /dev/input by running, e.g.

cat /dev/input/mice | hd

and wiggling the mouse. If you have the right device then you should see
output when the mouse is moved. This test works without X but you have
to be root to read the /dev/input/ devices directly like that. (You can
use CTRL + C to exit from this.)

Once you find the right device you can put that in your xorg.conf.
Report back if you cannot find any working mouse device even with those
modules loaded; we will have to look at a few other things then.

You can also use AllowMouseOpenFail (see "man xorg.conf") for now to
make X start without a mouse. This will at least tell you if the mouse
device is the only thing that is a problem at the moment.

          Florian   |