Re: Etch 32-bit system w/ AMD64 proc.

On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:46:54 +0100
Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> AFAIK you can't do this.  The nvidia module has 64-bit and 32-bit
> versions and having a amd64 kernel makes it think you are trying to
> build the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system hence the error.  If you use
> the -k7 kernel it will build, but you lose some of the special features
> of the processor, not sure which but you can compare the output of 'cat
> /proc/cpuinfo' on both kernels and google for any differences.
>
> I compile my own kernel and select the K8 processor type, but this does
> not change the architecture of the kernel so the module builds like this
> also.
>
> HTH
>
> Wackojacko

Yeah, I am running a k7 kernel nowadays, no problems with nvidia there. Using
64 bit kernel (either full 64-bit install, or just the kernel) seems to be
more problems than fun, be it flash and multimedia-codecs on full 64-bit
install, or this nvidia stuff using this method...

Guess I stick with my trusty k7 kernel then.
Thanks anyway!

/Andreas