Re: Black screen before login

On Tue, 1 May 2007 11:21:40 -0300 (ART)
Renato Gondim Filho <gondim2@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Yes, but nothing heappens. I did the steps:
>
> Turn on the computer;
> The graphical login prompt appears;
> Press ctrl+alt+F1;
> Command line login appears;
> Log as root;
> Did the comand;
> The black screen appears;
> Pressed ctrl+alt+F1, many times, nothing heappeans;
> The graphical login prompt appears again;
> Pressed ctrl+alt+F1, the command line appears, with the text of the
> Xorg.0.log printted in the screen. Repeat the command, many times,
> same result.

Ah, I see. Assuming you have not set the option 'DontVTSwitch' in
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, your X server is locking the keyboard
completely during this mysterious pause. Presumably the ability to
switch consoles returns after the login prompt, but by that time it is
not useful to you :-(

You mentioned before that the machine is not connected to the LAN, but
if you could connect it and start an SSH server, then you could login
remotely and monitor the log file from another machine.

Hopefully someone can advise you of other debugging options. It would
be helpful for example if you could find a way of telling the X server
to write time stamps to the log file.

--

Liam